Monday 1 February 2016

A poetic tribute. Long life and success to England's farmers.


Friesians at Barrington Court in South Somerset.


Apples in the orchard at Barrington Court in South Somerset.


While looking at some photos taken last autumn at the National Trust's Barrington Court in South Somerset I was reminded of a poetic tribute to England's farmers who, despite the trials and tribulations of climate, economics and politics, put food on my table throughout the year.


The author is unknown, but the words are from a double handed farmhouse mug which belonged to my great-grandfather who farmed at Lye Hole, east of Wrington Vale in North Somerset, in the 1890s.


Let the wealthy and great
Roll in splendour and state
I envy them not I declare it
I eat my own lamb
My own chickens and ham
I shear my own fleece and I wear it
I have lawns I have bowers
I have fruits I have flowers
The lark is my morning alarmer
So jolly boys now
Here's God speed the plough
Long life and success to the Farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment