Saturday 28 November 2015

Clatworthy Reservoir in the Brendon Hills, West Somerset.

One weekday last August I decided to pay a first visit to Clatworthy Reservoir, the smaller of the two reservoirs in the Brendon Hills.

Clatworthy is reasonably well signposted from Wiveliscombe so I followed the country lanes via Langley Marsh, Maundown and the prettily named Huish Champflower: Huish is a Saxon word meaning lands or household while Champflower is the name of the family which owned the lands in the 12th century.  It was a slow but enjoyable drive, twisting up and down hills through, in places, very narrow lanes.  When I arrived just after midday at the spacious free car park, which is on a hill overlooking the dam, it was very peaceful with only a handful of cars dotted around.

The reservoir, run by Wessex Water, takes its inflow from the River Tone and is 130 acres in area with a capacity of 5,364 million litres.  It was inaugurated by H.R.H. Princess Alexandra of Kent on the 6th July 1961.  The settlement of Syndercombe, mentioned in the Domesday Book, was flooded on the creation of the reservoir.
Clatworthy Reservoir viewed from the car park. 
For walkers - no dogs allowed - there is a footpath around the 5 mile perimeter of the reservoir.  I decided to walk down the hill and cross the dam to the wooded hill on the far side.  Unfortunately, as an asthmatic, this was a bad choice as by the time I had negotiated the zigzag path up the hill I was too worn out to go further.  Next time I visit I will try the clockwise route as it appears to follow more level ground although I don't envisage walking the whole circuit: the hills seem to be a bit too demanding.
The fish farm with its trout ponds below the dam.

No comments:

Post a Comment