Sunday 9 August 2015

Is London an English city? Apparantly not any more according to John Cleese and Terence Stamp.

Several years ago, when I lived in Bristol, I read an article in the Bristol Evening Post, I think, in which John Cleese, who hails from Weston-Super-Mare, was reported as saying he lived in Bath instead of London because it no longer felt like an English city.  At about the same time he was reported in the Daily Mail as saying that mass immigration had turned London into a city which is no longer English and that he felt like a foreigner walking through the capital's streets.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032956/John-Cleese-London-longer-English-city-thats-got-2012-Olympics.html
 
Now Terence Stamp, another actor, has just given practically the same opinion.  Apparently he now feels like an alien in his own country.  The Daily Mail  reports him as saying, "When I grew up in East London everyone seemed to speak English, and now you can barely get by speaking our own language." and "I feel like its not London anymore; not the one I used to know anyway." and also "It would be very sad if London stopped being predominantly English."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3167654/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-English-foreign-language-London-says-Terence-Stamp.html

On a personal note, I moved home from Bristol to a market town in South Somerset where it feels, comparatively, like living in the 1950s.  England's great cities, and London in particular, are changing - and not for the better in my view.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment