Friday 17 June 2022

A visit to Mendip Hospital Cemetery in Wells, Somerset.

Some years ago I discovered that my great grandmother, Kate Trevelyan, died of pneumonia on 5 January 1900 while a patient in the Mendip Hospital.  Recently my wife came across the Friends of Mendip Hospital Cemetery website with its timetable of open days.

Not knowing where my great grandmother was buried, on 15 June I decided to visit the cemetery to see if I could find out if she was buried there.  I took a very leisurely and enjoyable drive up to Shepton Mallet, on along the Old Frome Road, past Maesbury Hill Fort, and down into Wells. 

On arrival at the cemetery I was warmly greeted by Clare who, after enquiring the reason for my visit, took me into the Mendip Hospital Cemetery Chapel to look at the register of burials.  Clare immediately found the entry for my great grandmother which records that she was buried on the 10 January 1900.  Clare showed me around the fascinating display in the chapel, and also promised to send me details of how to contact the Somerset records office which holds patient medical records and photographs.  I was intrigued by the possibility of obtaining a photograph of my great grandmother as I have never seen one of her.

The entrance to Mendip Hospital Cemetery in Wells, Somerset.

The chapel at Mendip Hospital Cemetery in Wells, Somerset.


I took a pleasant and tranquil stroll around the cemetery grounds to find the section where Kate Trevelyan was buried.  Most of the iron numbered grave markers have had to be removed over the years and so it is not possible for many individual graves to be identified.

The Mendip Hospital Cemetery with some numbered iron markers still marking graves.

Many numbered iron grave markers have been gathered together and placed with sculptures made from the cemetery's trees to form a touching tribute.


I said my goodbyes to the volunteers and left, but not before Clare gave me an application form to join The Friends of Mendip Hospital Cemetery – I intend to complete and return it!

No comments:

Post a Comment