Saturday 30 April 2022

My thoughts on Roy Jenkins’ biography of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

This short biography of Franklin Delano Roosevelt by Roy Jenkins packs a good deal of information into its 173 pages.  Very sadly Lord Jenkins died of a sudden heart attack before the book was finished.  It was completed by his friend Richard E. Neustadt of Harvard University who took up the task from page 155.

I have read other, much longer, biographies of FDR by American authors H. W. Brands and Jean Edward Smith.  Their books provide much more background detail and scene-setting for FDR’s personal conflicts and political battles.  Despite their greater length they are much easier to read being written in plain and straightforward language.  One has to have a dictionary to hand when reading Lord Jenkins’ work.

However, I did add some words to my vocabulary.  Those listed below are just some which had me reaching for my Collins.

Contumaciously

Eleemosynary

Riparian

Semi-Lacuna

Readers of this blog may enjoy looking up the definitions.

Roy Jenkins’ Franklin Delano Roosevelt was first published in 2003 by Times Books of New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment