Friday 28 December 2018

The Church of St. George in Dunster, West Somerset.


As usual at this time of year I thought I would post about Somerset’s churches.  This Christmas and Epiphany the theme will be red sandstone churches of West Somerset.  A couple of years ago I visited Dunster Castle from where I took a photo, which I reproduce below, of the Church of St. George in the village of Dunster.

Colin Wintle in his Around Historic Avon and Somerset, (Midas Books, 1978) writes; “The Priory Church of St. George, of red sandstone and with a massive square tower, buttressed and embattled, contains an unique feature: its rood screen, with fourteen openings and supporting a gallery, is the longest in England.”

Simon Jenkins, in his England’s Thousand Best Churches, (Penguin Books, 2000) lists it among his “Top One Hundred” and gives it four stars out of five.


The Church of St. George in Dunster, West Somerset.

No comments:

Post a Comment