Tuesday 24 July 2018

Bees in decline? Not in my South Somerset garden!

I have read numerous articles this year reporting that bees are in decline, yet in this particular corner of South Somerset there does not appear to be a noticeable reduction in their numbers.  The lavenders in my garden seem to be a particular favourite for bees, as they have been in previous years.  Even though the flowers on some of the lavenders seem to be fading they are still attracting pollinators.  Yesterday evening at 8pm the bees were still busy, so I took some photos with a clear blue sky as background.  
A bee among the lavender on the evening of 23rd July.
A bee working on the lavender on the evening of 23rd July.


I remember watching a TV programme some years ago on which someone who grew lavender as a crop said: “They don’t like to get their feet wet”.  Those in my garden certainly haven’t got their feet wet this summer!  My south facing hillside garden usually gets a battering from rain and constant wind, the wind sometimes subsiding to a breeze, but for the last couple of months it has had a real scorching.  In such conditions I had one lavender plant six years ago whereas now I have five; all survive and prosper.

Returning to the bees, The Royal Horticultural Society website informs us that: “There are often more pollinators in our nation’s gardens than in surrounding agricultural land.”  The website is very informative and gives advice on how to help our indispensable little friends.*   
*    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=528

No comments:

Post a Comment