Saturday 24 March 2018

An angel watches over a lane leading to Felton Common in North Somerset.


Just north of Bristol Airport on the A38 at Lulsgate Bottom is the road east to Felton, Winford and Chew Magna.  Take that road and 100 yards past the cattle grid you will see on your right a lane lined by aged beech trees which leads to St. Katharine’s Church and Felton Common.

Standing at the entrance to the lane is a striking statue of an angel looking skywards.  It was carved from a dying beech tree by Gloucestershire artist Ant Beetlestone in 2010.

An angel watches over a lane leading to Felton Common in North Somerset.
The angel carved from a beech tree at Felton Common in North Somerset. 

6 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic and beautiful sculpture. The photographer takes a great picture! C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the sculpture. The photographs on this blog are taken by an enthusiastic amateur - me!

      Delete
  2. Hi. I'm writing a short piece about tree carving and its history and I wonder if I could have your permission to print this photo? I used to live in the area and love the carving. Christina Noble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christina. Yes - you may use the photo from my blog. Unfortunately it was taken on a very dull, damp day so it lacks a nice blue sky as background. Best regards, Steve Wright.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Steve. I'm told the article will be printed in the next Burnham on Sea U3A magazine, due out in a month's time. I will of course name you as the photographer. Kind regards Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christina, Glad you found my photo of use. Best regards Steve Wright.

      Delete